Thursday, August 5, 2010

Exterior Concepts 08-05-2010

Alright Team,

Please review and comment.

If you cant explain it, draw it and be sure to annotate your thoughts.

Excellent work Maya!



Image 12


Image 11


Image 10


Image 9


Image 8


Image 7


Image 6


Image 5


Image 4


Image 3


Image 2


Image 1

2 comments:

  1. Images 10 and 1 I am really struck by. The feeling that the ribbon is opening up as you approach is very graceful and I think our best solution yet. At this point I think it will be critical how the interior now relates to this entry. I must say I am not sure about the fact that the back wall of the ribbon at the entry is made up of a solid an open space and then the trellis. To me it feels like maybe it could all be trellis. I also believe that the gradual incline for accessibility was a good idea and the ramp on the back side doesn't feel as graceful.

    A key point that I think needs to be discussed and decided on soon is what exactly this ribbon is made of. It is currently being depicted as being very thick The thickness and construction technique can make or break the feeling of this ribbon. I don't think it needs to be the same thickness all around, but could shift as necessary. Perhaps if there wasn't such a stark shift from solid to the slats, but rather that the "solid" was really just more densely placed slats. I think this would allow the ribbon to feel more freed and flowing and more like a "ribbon". I will try to make a sketch of what i am thinking and send it soon.

    I don't mind the flat roof, but I bet we will get some opposition to it. The windows along the North by the roof, seem a bit excessive, as they will lose lots of heat. Also, we must remember that the roof will be very thick, maybe more that 1.5 feet, so windows as they appear cannot actually go where they are, as the ribbon will not really be the insulated roof (I don't think, but maybe on the roof it could help). Also just formally the little notch on the top of the flat roof doesn't really make sense to me. I think I like the move that the ribbon almost cuts the corner off the box, but I don't know why that would add an additional little stub to it. Also conceptually I would be interested in hearing why the roof shifted to being flat. Is it now accessible? A green roof?

    How was the roof angle determined? lets make sure this was rigors for PV and Solar hotwater.

    If you look at image 11 the roof ribbon almost feels like it is ending abruptly. I wonder if there is a way for us to bring it back down a bit, or into the house, or something.

    I like the deck and I think with some landscape work this can be great. The cut in the deck for greenery seems like a good move, but I think we need to figure out more clearly where it goes and why it goes there and what size it is. It may be perfect I just cant see the logic behind the size and scale yet.

    The west patio/deck and balcony/deck seem great opening up to the woods and some privacy from the north.

    The North facade doesn't feel balanced, there seems to be too much "weight" on the East side. I actually think it is very close to engaging the whole facade with few windows which I like, but maybe something can shift west.

    The south facade is the least engaging as seen in image 4. Perhaps the significant plantings in that green area in the deck could start to engage the visual flow of this side. It currently feels very stiff, and you cant really read that the ribbon is moving in and out.
    It appears as though the top windows on the south will be over shaded. What exactly are we trying to do with this piece of the ribbon sticking off from the house? Occupiable? I might suggest if it could work that the ribbon comes back to the building for ease of construction and that the slats become operable and can shift on tracks to shade...Or something like that.

    The corner window on the North east wall is not practical for us. Here in the US we don't have any manufacturers able to make windows that are as good as we need them that could be corner windows. Sorry Maya I know you like corner windows.

    That's all...for now. It is alot, but many small things. I am finally getting excited about our design, so thanks Maya (and anyone else that helped here) for doing great work.

    Best
    Declan B. Keefe

    ReplyDelete
  2. The second level South windows would be shaded by the slats which, in fact, would be on operable tracks. This would be super nice so that they have the option to use the screens for shading and privacy or have a direct view outdoors. The question now is, how do we make those work? Currently, the little overhang they sit on is only 18" off the building. The reason for this is to use the 18" thickness of the exterior walls + the little overhang to total a 36" shade for the downstairs windows.

    I also agree with you about making the entire front porch part of the ribbon a screen. The more I look at the transition from solid wall to open to screen, the less I'm convince why it changes and is the only part that is not continuous in pattern. I keep saying it, but I think it would be really nice if those slats on the vertical walls are denser, then the can continue as the horizontal parts of the ribbon and create deck. This may provide a nice oppportunity to allow the plants below and around the ground level edge to naturally grow up into the deck. I'll draw this out and post before tomorrow.....

    Holly

    ReplyDelete