BR: Casework at the windows is great functional storage/furniture. Skylight- I'll try and post my sketch, very similiar I just had an interior clerestory along the hallway partition wall to bring light into the stairs. I'm diggin the lofts. One thought- how would it be if they were ran from east to west? It would maximize the loft space at the highest part of the ceiling and let more light up from the windows. Also, reminds me of FLW fallingwater, if anybody else has been, the BR ceilings are really low as you enter the room, maybe 7', and maybe 9' as you move into the room and towards the windows- its really powerful sense of compression and expansion- brings you towards nature. Powerful stuff. Nook- At one point is was a loft, if its open maybe there are some cool hanging pendants there to cozify that space. Also, can we round the corner on the desk so it doesn't hurt so much when I bang my hip into it?
That's a great suggestion about the changing of heights. Our walls are so thick, I think there's an opportunity to play with that thickness other places, like a deeper overhang at the bedroom door.
Nice explorations, and I like the consideration of how to break up the tall spaces with trim elements - makes me think of the shaker chair rails (shakers are my favorite)- also like the lofts and like the suggestions from L and B.
Regarding the nook - originally, it was going to be an expressive part of the ribbon correct? Is this still the case? Should we try to fold the ribbon up into this family / cozy spot? If so, the shelving strategy at the dining area could be reflected here as well. If not, perhaps this should be tied in to the language at the 'entertainment center' area / wall along the north of the main living spaces... Let's review and decide tomorrow!
BR: Casework at the windows is great functional storage/furniture. Skylight- I'll try and post my sketch, very similiar I just had an interior clerestory along the hallway partition wall to bring light into the stairs. I'm diggin the lofts. One thought- how would it be if they were ran from east to west? It would maximize the loft space at the highest part of the ceiling and let more light up from the windows. Also, reminds me of FLW fallingwater, if anybody else has been, the BR ceilings are really low as you enter the room, maybe 7', and maybe 9' as you move into the room and towards the windows- its really powerful sense of compression and expansion- brings you towards nature. Powerful stuff.
ReplyDeleteNook- At one point is was a loft, if its open maybe there are some cool hanging pendants there to cozify that space. Also, can we round the corner on the desk so it doesn't hurt so much when I bang my hip into it?
That's a great suggestion about the changing of heights. Our walls are so thick, I think there's an opportunity to play with that thickness other places, like a deeper overhang at the bedroom door.
ReplyDeleteNice explorations, and I like the consideration of how to break up the tall spaces with trim elements - makes me think of the shaker chair rails (shakers are my favorite)- also like the lofts and like the suggestions from L and B.
ReplyDeleteRegarding the nook - originally, it was going to be an expressive part of the ribbon correct? Is this still the case? Should we try to fold the ribbon up into this family / cozy spot? If so, the shelving strategy at the dining area could be reflected here as well. If not, perhaps this should be tied in to the language at the 'entertainment center' area / wall along the north of the main living spaces... Let's review and decide tomorrow!